At 1727 on May 21st, 2008 Domonic Miguel entered the world weighing in at 1lb 8oz and 12.5in long he suffered from sever IUGR. I was allowed a quick glimpse and before I knew it he was whisked away. I had tons of family and friends waiting in the hallway in hopes they could see him, and they did. The nurses aware that Dom was a little brother stopped in the hall breifly approached Aid and asked, "are you big brother" without hesitation he says YES. I hear it was the most bittersweet moment as the nurses introduced the boys to one another and Aid could not help but cry full of heartache scared to death at what the fate was to be of his oh so tiny brother. My mom being the wonderful woman she is held him close reassuring him it would all be okay. Dom was immediatly intubated and had quiet the rough journey in the NICU during his 128 day stay there he endured the following:
-Intubated and vented through an oscillator for 6 weeks
-CPAP for 8 weeks
-Rotation of CPAP and Nasal Cannula for the remainder of his stay
-PDA Ligation surgery @ JUST 3 days old (he was also baptised 1hr prior)
-PKU Diagnosis which resulted in stopping breastmilk & being put on a special formula
-Grade III IVH in the lower right ventricle
-5 or so blood transfusions
-Gtube placement
-Ultrasounds, xrays, CT scans, MRIs
-Tons of daily testing
-Failure to thrive
Since Release:
-25 hospital visits half of which resulted in stays
-Nissen Fundoplication Surgery
-8 surgeries for abscesses resulting from MRSA
-To many to count MRIs, CT scans, Xrays
-Diagnosed w/ Superior Oblique Palsy
-RSV and Pneumonias
You get the point.
He finally came home September 26th, 2008. Aid came home from school no more than 10 minutes after our arrival at home. It could not have been more picture perfect. Aid finally got to meet the brother he had longed for , for months and had only seen in pictures aside from the bittersweet hello after birth. The family dynamic we carry now is unlike anything I ever planned for. It is I alone raising Aid and Dom, it is by no means easy but to know that I have 2 living beautiful boys is enough to give me life.
No comments:
Post a Comment